The Castle of De Maurissens in Pellenberg


The De Maurissens family was a noble family whose roots lie in Switzerland. The family was part of the Belgian, and until 1883 of the Dutch nobility. In 1883 the Dutch branch formally died out with the death of Johanna Theresia de Maurissens (1801-1883). Her two brothers, Eduardus Godfridus and Alexander, had offspring, but they chose the Belgian nationality in 1839 and therefore belonged to the Belgian nobility.


Picture by Harry Fabel

On August 16, 1914, at the beginning of the First World War, the castle was burned down. In 1916 Edouard had the current castle designed by the architect Chr├ętien Veraart. After his death, his widow Irma L.M.T. Maurissens-van Eijll live in the family domain until her death in 1948.

Picture by Harry Fabel

In 1949 the castle and its park were sold by their 7 children to the Catholic University of Leuven, initially to serve as a sanatorium. The castle is now a training center of the Lucina Academy.

Picture by Harry Fabel

You can find the castle and its public park at this address: Weligerveld, Lubbeek.