Castle Den Brandt
The name 'Den Brandt' is used for the first time in 1396 as a name for the piece of land were the castle was later built on. Presumably, the name indicates a burned place, a former mining method, where pieces of hay and forest were burned and then transformed into agricultural land.
|Picture by Harry Fabel|
In the history of the domain there is first talk of a farm, later from a 'Speelhuys' (Playhouse) and around 1582 finally of a the name 'The Court of Brande'.
The present castle was built in 1790 in a Louis XVI style. The first owner was 'C.A. della Faille'. In 1910 the 'Kreglinger' family became owner of the castle together with a 16 ha park surrounding it. Another 48 ha part of the park was sold to the city of Antwerp to create a new park open to the public. On 18 December 1962 the city of Antwerp also became the official owner of the Kreglinger domain and the castle.