The St. Nicholas square is located at the place where the former Falconinnen sisters established a God house in 1422. The God house was used by the craftsmen of the Meerseniers guild, that were the shoemakers, tailors, tinsmiths, and grocers of the city. Their main activity was to care for the needy, elderly, or sick members of the guild together with the sisters. Till 1842 there were still members of the guild living in the houses around the little square.
|Pictures by Harry Fabel|
The chapel of the God house was built in 1423 and dedicated to Saint Nicholas, the patron saint of the Meerseniers. In the middle of the square, there is a statue of him. The Chapel closed in 1876 and was first used as carpet storage and later as a Puppet theater. The entire complex was thoroughly renovated and restored by architect F. Van Averbeke between 1958 and 1968. Today the Saint Nicholas Square is mainly used by small local theater makers who have their theaters there.