The castle of Jemeppe
The castle of Jemeppe, also known as Castle Hargimont, is a castle in Hargimont a little town in the province of Luxembourg, Belgium. The castle is of medieval origin. In the Middle Ages, the manor of Jemeppe was only a few buildings surrounded by swamps and the Hédrée river. It offered little or no protection against the ruling families of Namur and Luxembourg, which fought since the twelfth century over control of the territory of Durbuy and La Roche.
|Picture by Jack Destexhe|
At the beginning of the 13th century, a more fortified house was built together with a moat surrounding the castle. Access was only possible through a single bridge and gate The first two floors were used as living quarters, two floors above it were more simple and were used by the staff for storage and as protection for the residents of the estate.
In 1616 the castle was again fortified with a tower making it more square. Also, a double moat and a farm were added in the same period. The wings were further modernized between 1739 and 1748 and more windows were added.
Between 1865 and 1875, Adrien de Sauvage-Vercour the new owner did some extensive renovations at the castle. He added saddle roofs on the wings and a steep roof on top of the oldest tower. Today the castle is used as an event venue and hotel.