The citadel of Namur

The Namur Citadel is one of the oldest and largest fortresses in Europe and the world. It has 7 km of underground corridors. The building lies on a 100 meter high hill above the Wallonian city of Namur. It is situated on a strategic location, right on the spot where the river Sambre flows into the river Meuse.


Probably this hill was already inhabited 8,000 years ago. Later, the Romans used this place as a fortress. The first stone ramparts are dating anywhere from the early Middle Ages. From the 10th century, the complex was the seat of the Earls of Namur. Until 1429, a total of 23 graves lived in the fortress. In that year "Philip the Good" occupies the area of Namur and the whole region was attached to the Duchy of Burgundy.


Until the independence of Belgium the fortress has always been besieged, it was in Spanish, Austrian, French and Dutch hands. Between 1816 and 1825 the entire complex was rebuilt by the Dutch. After the Belgian Revolution the fortress became Belgian. In 1893 a part of the complex was given to the city of Namur by King Leopold II.

On this part, the city built a park and a promenade. In 1975 the entire fortress is transferred to the city and became a demilitarized area. In 1977 the last army troops left the fort. The citadel of Namur is now open to the public.



You can find the citadel on this address: Route Merveilleuse 64, Namur.

Popular posts from this blog

How the Belgians founded New York

A secret medieval street in Antwerp

A heaven of bugs in the Royal Palace of Brussels