Bread house in Brussels
The Bread House is the building right across the Town Hall of Brussel on the "Grand Place". Originally the house was used to serve as a 'bread' hall ', the place where the bakers came to sell their bread. The building dates back to 1405. Later, when the bakers preferred selling their bread at home in their own bakeries, the Dukes of Burgundy took over the building. Even now sometimes people in Brussels called the "Bread House" the "Conincxhuis", the house of the kings.
|Picture by Pixabay|
In the early 16th century, the building is in very poor condition. So the city of Brussels decided to replace it with a new building. In 1515 the new building was complete and called "The New King's House", It was a typical example of the Brabant Gothic style. In 1873 the building was once more demolished and rebuilt.
The Bread House now houses the Museum of the City of Brussels with a large collection of paintings, sculptures, tapestries, altarpieces, silverware, porcelain, and faience. The second floor focuses on the lives of the people of Brussels. You definitely get an unusual view of the city and its history.