The Sint-Jacobus Church of Kapellen


The Sint-Jacobus Church is one of the oldest buildings of the town of Kapellen in the Belgian province of Antwerp. In the 12th century there was already a chapel dedicated to St. Jacob on the same location. In history the church was situated on the road to Santiago of Compostela, a famous pilgrim destination.

Picture by Harry Fabel

In the course of time, the church was destroyed and restored many times. It also has been enlarged several times. Today the church has a rich historical patrimony.

The choir dates from the 14th century, the late gothic choir and the crossbeam are from the 15th and 16th centuries. Known horticulturists from the heyday of Antwerp, including father and son Kerrickx, delivered beautiful works of art in baroque style such as the pulpit and the throne dedicated to Our Lady.

Picture by Harry Fabel

In 1849 two side aisles were built and in 1890 a new extension followed with a new church tower. You can find the The Sint-Jacobus Church at this address: Kerkstraat 2, Kapellen, Antwerp.