Skip to main content

The galleries of the Laken Cemetery

The Laken cemetery in the Brussels-Capital Region is the oldest Brussels cemetery with medieval monuments and tombs. The funerary architecture is roughly equivalent to the style of the Père Lachaise cemetery in Paris. The choir of the old Church of Our Lady is still preserved in the cemetery of Laeken. You will find one of the copies of The Thinker on the grave of art collector Jef Dillen, made by Rodin himself in 1881.

In the 19th century, the town of Laeken became a favorite of the Belgian nobility and bourgeoisie, who came to enjoy the peace and the wide beautiful landscapes.

The Belgian royal family also settled here and still lives there today, in the castle of Laeken. Many prominent Belgians are buried here, especially from Catholic backgrounds. You will also find the graves of some 125 Belgian soldiers who died in both world wars.

Picture by Dirk De Nil

In the middle of the 19th century, Emile Bockstael devised an inventive solution for the lack of space in the Laeken cemetery. He designs a burial gallery so that more people can be buried in the limited area. He proposes to build this cemetery underground, in contrast to the above-ground gallery in southern Europe. The first part is put into use in 1878. Afterward, there are several extensions. In 1935 there are about 300 meters of underground galleries. 4061 chests can be placed. Following restoration works, the galleries were reopened to the public in 2017.


Popular posts from this blog

Belgian kids got to drink beer during their school lunch

There are almost 800 different kinds of beer in Belgium. One kind was very popular till the70's, it was even given to kids at school during their lunch break. Beer to kids? You must be kidding! Well, let's go a bit further into this. The beers we are talking about were so-called table beers, a kind of beer that was specially made for people who can't drink alcohol. So it's was a kind of alcohol-free beer, a kind, because there was some alcohol in it. between 1 and 4 percent alcohol. The most popular table beer was Piedboeuf, it had 1.1 percent alcohol in it and there was a lot of sugar added to make it as sweet as Coca-Cola. A good marketing strategy made that it was well distributed in almost all schools in Belgium. The reason was that it would be very healthy for them, because of the natural ingredients and of course the sugar. It would make them grow fast and strong. It would even be good for pregnant women and for women that were breastfeeding their baby'

How the Belgians founded New York

In order to avoid any confusion in this story, it is important to know that in the sixteenth century, the Netherlands covered a part of northern France and Lorraine, Belgium, Luxembourg, and the present Netherlands. Its inhabitants were called the Belgians, and the maps represented the country in the shape of a lion: the "Leo Belgicus". Besides, numerous maps from the sixteenth century showed this territory under the name of Belgium. The latter failed into disuse for the benefit of the Netherlands and only reappeared in 1789 on the occasion of the first Belgian revolution. In 1831 Belgium became an independent country. Today Belgium is a lot smaller and is divided into two big regions mostly based on the language they speak in that particular region. In the north, there is Flanders where they speak Flemish (Dutch) and in the south, there is the Walloon part where they speak French. Almost in the center and between the two parts is the region of the capital Brussels.

Belgium has the largest chocolate factory in the world

The largest chocolate factory in the world is located in Wieze, Belgium. Barry Callebaut produces around 270,000 tonnes a year, from cocoa bean to chocolate, making it the largest chocolate supplier in the world. Picture by Pixabay In Wieze you will also find the first of the seventeen Chocolate Academy centers that have since been distributed all over the world. A completely new building was recently opened, making the Chocolate Academy center in Wieze the largest center in the world. Picture by Pixabay The Belgian chocolate sector exports its quality chocolate to the entire world. Two-thirds of both the industrial chocolate and the end products are exported abroad. That's because there is a Belgian chocolate code developed in 2007. The Belgian chocolate code must ensure that the term 'Belgian chocolate' is only used for chocolate that actually comes from Belgium.