The old post office is located near the world-famous 'Korenmarkt' and 'Graslei' and next to the St. Michiels church. The eclectic style building was built between 1898 and 1910. It was designed by architect 'Louis Cloquet' in collaboration with 'Stéphane Mortier' for the 1913 World Exhibition.
|Picture by Pixabay|
The facades of the building are decorated with different statues and coats of arms, representing Belgium, Flanders, Wallonia, the at that time 9 provinces, and the 23 European heads of state. There are about 100 statues in total. The post pigeons painted on the walls still refer to the original function of the building. The clock tower is about 51 meters high.
In 1998 the building was sold by the Belgian Post. The first intention was to rebuild the post office into a small shopping center with apartments above it. The project failed but by the end of 2017, the historical building will be turned into a luxury hotel.