Skip to main content

The castle of Bossenstein

The castle of Bossenstein is a moated castle in the small town of Broechem, north of the city Lier in the province of Antwerp. The first mention of the castle dates back to 1346. The owner of the castle at that time was 'Johannes van Busco' also known as 'Van den Bossche'. To this person, the castle is named today. Other names were Halmaleshof and Allemanshof, after names of later owners.

The characteristic of the castle is the keep, which is one of the oldest parts of the castle. The wings were built much later. Because it is a moated castle, the only entrance is through a brick bridge. Central to the building is a courtyard surrounded by galleries. In 1660 Willem van Halmale converted the castle into a magnificent and opulent building. he added the stucco ceilings and mounted panels on the walls depicting the arrival of Ferdinand of Austria in Antwerp. He also built the beautiful driveways to the castle. When you walk up the castle grounds, you can see his escutcheon and the year 1660 on the square gate tower. In the course of time, the castle had a lot of owners. In 1900 it stood empty for a period of time and got in decay. A few years later, during the First World War, the castle got damaged even more.

Eventually, it got restored again and altered to the more modern look it has today. Also, big windows were added. Sinds 1962 the castle area is a protected landscape. At this moment the castle is built around a golf course, the Bossenstein Golf, and Polo Club.

Popular posts from this blog

Belgian kids got to drink beer during their school lunch

There are almost 800 different kinds of beer in Belgium. One kind was very popular till the70's, it was even given to kids at school during their lunch break. Beer to kids? You must be kidding! Well, let's go a bit further into this. The beers we are talking about were so-called table beers, a kind of beer that was specially made for people who can't drink alcohol. So it's was a kind of alcohol-free beer, a kind, because there was some alcohol in it. between 1 and 4 percent alcohol. The most popular table beer was Piedboeuf, it had 1.1 percent alcohol in it and there was a lot of sugar added to make it as sweet as Coca-Cola. A good marketing strategy made that it was well distributed in almost all schools in Belgium. The reason was that it would be very healthy for them, because of the natural ingredients and of course the sugar. It would make them grow fast and strong. It would even be good for pregnant women and for women that were breastfeeding their baby'

How the Belgians founded New York

In order to avoid any confusion in this story, it is important to know that in the sixteenth century, the Netherlands covered a part of northern France and Lorraine, Belgium, Luxembourg, and the present Netherlands. Its inhabitants were called the Belgians, and the maps represented the country in the shape of a lion: the "Leo Belgicus". Besides, numerous maps from the sixteenth century showed this territory under the name of Belgium. The latter failed into disuse for the benefit of the Netherlands and only reappeared in 1789 on the occasion of the first Belgian revolution. In 1831 Belgium became an independent country. Today Belgium is a lot smaller and is divided into two big regions mostly based on the language they speak in that particular region. In the north, there is Flanders where they speak Flemish (Dutch) and in the south, there is the Walloon part where they speak French. Almost in the center and between the two parts is the region of the capital Brussels.

Belgium has the largest chocolate factory in the world

The largest chocolate factory in the world is located in Wieze, Belgium. Barry Callebaut produces around 270,000 tonnes a year, from cocoa bean to chocolate, making it the largest chocolate supplier in the world. Picture by Pixabay In Wieze you will also find the first of the seventeen Chocolate Academy centers that have since been distributed all over the world. A completely new building was recently opened, making the Chocolate Academy center in Wieze the largest center in the world. Picture by Pixabay The Belgian chocolate sector exports its quality chocolate to the entire world. Two-thirds of both the industrial chocolate and the end products are exported abroad. That's because there is a Belgian chocolate code developed in 2007. The Belgian chocolate code must ensure that the term 'Belgian chocolate' is only used for chocolate that actually comes from Belgium.