Nature park The Old Lands in Ekeren

The "Oude Landen" (The Old Lands) is a 100 hectare nature reserve on the northern edge the city of Antwerp. The area is protected landscape since 1980 and was recognized in 2002 as a nature reserve.


The reserve is located on the former military domain barracks of the district "Luchtbal" and is owned by the City of Antwerp, who furnished a police school in the barracks and had the intention to make the "Oude Landen" a residential area. The plan was dropped later. Until 1929 the area was part of the town of Ekeren.

The area is bounded by the highway interchange E19 / A12, track 12, the N114 (Ekeren Steenweg) and the center of Ekeren. At the border of the reserve lies the Veltwijck Park and castle.

The reserve is located in the valley of the "Oudelandse Beek" and is known for its orchids wealth and large population of reed birds like the bluethroat and reed bunting. In the reserve they somethimes let Galloway cattle graze. In the south, the reserve hangs in the valley of the Laarse Beek. The "Oude Landen is managed by an origination named "Natuurpunt". and is free to visit. The "Hof de bist park" and the "The chapel of the Bist" are also very near.




Popular posts from this blog

How the Belgians founded New York

A secret medieval street in Antwerp

A heaven of bugs in the Royal Palace of Brussels