The St-Catharina Church in Stabroek

The current church dates from the middle of the 14th century, it was between enlarged in 1483 and 1484 with transepts and a ship shaped roof. Unfortunately the church burned down in 1586. Within the remaining walls of the high choir, an emergency church was built in 1595.


A big restoration and modification was done between 1613 and 1614. In 1614 a new sacristy and a renewal of the high choir was added. Also a side tower, The  ship roof and tower were preserved in their original state.

Shortly after 1622, during the battle between the Spaniards and the Dutch, the church was turned into a fort, canals and ramparts were built around the church and cemetery. The choir and the west side of the church were largely destroyed in this battle. In 1643 the dilapidated church burned down again, this time almost completely, only the tower remained unharmed.

Picture by Harry Fabel
The fortifications around the church were only partly demolished in 1655. The church, including the tower, were fully restored in 1668.

From 1860 onwards enlargement were done by architect 'Eugeen Gife'. He broadened the church by building side aisles, a transept, a sacristy and a side tower. The work were completed in 1876. The roofs also designed by 'Louis Gife' were restored in 1891. Also the gutters, interior and windows in neo-Gothic style were rebuilt between 1906 and 1910, again to 'Louis Gife's' original design.

Picture by Harry Fabel

You can find the church at this address:  Kerkepad, Stabroek, Antwerp, Belgium.